Little Free Libraries and Readathon TBR



     Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon starts tomorrow at 8am and I FINALLY have my TBR pile ready. When I started to gather up books last week I realized that all the books I have to read are on my phone. I love reading on the go, however, it does not make for cute TBR pile pictures. Which is what I was looking to take. Then I looked at my bookcases and kind of sighed. I have over 100 unread books but I just wasn't feeling any of them. Ridiculous or not, it is what it is. I considered going to the library with a friend but I go crazy at the library. There are so many books I want to read and I set unrealistic goals that end with me owing the library late fees. I just sat on my unhappiness with an electronic-only tbr list for a few days.
     Finally, I came up with the idea to go to some Little Free Libraries around town and pick a physical TBR from them. I figured this would be a good way to not overdo it (because that would be selfish) and I could drop off some books I've been meaning to donate. I am lucky enough to live in a town that has a lot of them. When I was looking on the map I noticed these libraries are mostly in Virginia. Is this a Virginia thing? It needs to be an everywhere thing. Anyway, once I figured out which ones would be the easiest to get to, I planned a route and piled my family into the car.


   One of these was on a walking trail and one was in front of a house. Although they didn't have any books I wanted the first one had a book for Haleigh and both got a few books from our home.


   Look how cute this one is! I found two mystery/thriller books that sounded good and threw them in my bag.


   In this library, Haleigh found a few books and I found a memoir that is a graphic novel. Nothing beats graphic novels when your eyes are heavy in the last few hours of a readathon! Also, this little library came with a cool background story "My father learned woodworking as a child just prior and during WWII from his uncle who owned a wood working shop in an area of Germany that is now Poland. He became a refugee and immigrated to the United States in 1956 and has maintained his hobby with a wood working shop in our basement for as long as I can remember. He made our Little Free Library at the age of 84 as a tribute to all that education has given his children, grandchildren."



   This was my favorite! It had a lot of great books but mostly my love for it was because it's so cute. I found an Amish book to add to my pile but Haleigh really came away with a great find; a 5 book box set of graphic novels. How cool right?!


   This library wasn't a hit with Haleigh but I found a book that caught my eye. I honestly didn't even read what it was about. I'm a cover-judger.


   These next two didn't hold any books that enticed me or Hal but they were really cute. The one on the left has a hedgehog as a knob!


   Last but not least was this library. It was in front of someone's yard who had the coolest fire pit. If I lived there I would definitely be reading my books by that fire!

   Every library we went to we dropped off at least one book from our house. The motto is 'take a book, share a book.' I am so grateful these are in my town!

   Now on to my electronic TBR. I have a little of everything. I have some poetry books, graphic novels, some short stories and one book that's the next in a series I'm reading. Twice a year I put so much time into choosing the right books for my TBR then I end up grabbing whatever is in front of me or downloading a different book. Let's see if I actually stick to these books this time.


   My goal is always to pass the 1,000 page mark but really I just want to enjoy the books and hopefully find some new authors to love. Are you doing the readathon this year? It's not too late to sign up! If you don't want to go to the website and sign up just participate by following along on social media by using the hashtag #Readathon #DeweysReadathon and #24HourReadathon. There will be an hourly photo challenge on Instagram with the hashtags #DeweyApril and  #ReadathonHourlyPhoto. If you are posting someone link me in the comments and I will follow along!

Happy reading!

Comments