Cheddar Cheese Bacon Broccoli Stuffed Chicken

    Last week I was looking on Pinterest for food ideas for a meal plan and came across this pin. Cheddar and broccoli stuffed chicken sounds amazing! I looked at the ingredient list and got what was needed. However, I never actually read the whole recipe. Once I got started and pulled up the website I realized I wanted to make it a little differently. Which really is no surprise to me because just about every time I read a recipe I change it in some way. I'm the kind of cook that just goes through and smells the seasonings to see which one calls to me that day. I very rarely make things the same way twice. Anyway, this was a hit with my family so I wanted to share how I went about making it.

     There are three of us so I took out 3 (thick) boneless chicken breasts and butterflied them (cut them in half but leaving one side attached). I then cooked them in a pan with some coconut oil, minced garlic, onion powder, and pepper. I cooked the chicken breasts on each side for 8 minutes. Then I took them, put them on a plate, and stuck them in the fridge.

     While I was waiting for my chicken to cool off I cooked some bacon, making sure it was crisp so I could crumble it later and cut up the broccoli until little pieces. I ended up with 1 cup of bacon crumbles and 1.5 cups of cut pieces of broccoli.

     Once the chicken was cooled off I took it out and placed each piece on its own square of tin foil. I put cheese, bacon crumbles, and broccoli on the right side of the chicken. After that, I folded it over, held it shut while putting some more cheese on top of the chicken with a little bit of bacon and broccoli. For the next part, imagine wrapping a potato in tin foil because that's exactly what I did with the chicken to make sure it cooked with everything still in the middle.

    I put my chicken in the oven for 25 minutes on 350. The reason for 25 minutes and not just enough time to melt the cheese was because 8 minutes on each side wasn't enough to fully cook the chicken due to its thickness.


     This meal was thoroughly enjoyed by all and there were no complaints. However, I think next time I make it I will need to add a few more spices or more of what I was using. I thought it tasted a little bland though I was given a 'get real' face when I said that out loud. We paired it with french fries, mostly because that was what was most convenient but maybe roasted potatoes or a cheddar rice would go great with it as well.

Comments