Tricks - book review



2011 Reading Challenge



2011 Reading Challenge

Nicole has


read 3 books toward her goal of 50 books.


hide










Tricks 
by Ellen Hopkins
 
Cover summary: Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two guys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching...for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don't expect, though, is all that can happenwhen those powerful little words "I love you" are said for all the wrong reasons.

Five moving stories remain separate at first, then interweave to tell a larger, powerful story - a story about making choices, taking leaps of faith, falling down, and growing up. A story about kids figuring out what sex and love are all about, at all costs, while asking themselves, "Can I ever feel okay about myself?"

I am a huge Ellen Hopkins fan. I love the way she writes in poetry form, how she ties so many stories together, and her amazing knowledge of what is going on in a teen's head. One particular poem "A Poem by Seth Parnell. What I Need.." on page 343 really touched home.

"....To someone standing on the outside perimeters of my life, I might look one hundred percent the same. But if they had the ability to split me open, look deep inside, they would know the mask that appears to be my face is painted over the real me, smoke and mirrors, an illusion."

Although I love Ellen Hopkins this was not my favorite book of hers. The reason being all the sex that was in it. I know, I know. It's called Tricks, Nicole.. what do you THINK it's going to be about? Just like mediabistro.com said "Tricks is a book that turns you on and repels you at the same time. Just like so much of life." it is quite true.



Custom Search

Comments