TIME Causes a Stir

     TIME has succeeded in causing a stir in the US about parenting choices. I mean, that was their intention when they decided to make their title 'Are You Mom Enough?' with a picture of a woman breastfeeding a 3 year old, right?
     I'm sure that currently the top things being googled right now are Time Magazine, extended breastfeeding, and attachment parenting. What is attachment parenting anyway? Webmd says "attachment parenting focuses on the nurturing connection that parents can develop with their children. That nurturing connection is viewed as the ideal way to raise secure, independent, and empathetic children." From what I can understand attachment parenting is breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, positive discipline, and pretty much constant attention from the parent(s).
     Here is where I stand on the subject: Do what you do. If you breastfeed your child until they get on that bus for Kindergarten or you co-sleep until they leave for college, that is none of my business. You wouldn't want anyone coming to your house and telling you how to raise your children so don't knock other people and the way they raise theirs.
     What I don't understand is why everyone is so upset and angry over this topic. Is it not possible to see something, read something, hear something, with out criticizing the person behind it? So you don't think breastfeeding a four year old is for you, then my suggestion is don't do it. I believe everyone has a right to an opinion, however, I don't feel that opinion gives you the right to criticize.
     What do we do in our household? We babywear but not to the extent that I'd say we use attachment parenting. When Haleigh was an infant I'd wear her all the time - now I mostly wear her when we go on walks, events, or sometimes to the store. Sometimes we co-nap on the weekends or co-sleep if she is very sick. I wasn't able to breastfeed beyond a few weeks but I don't think that I'd be a person who would do extended breastfeeding. Though I don't knock it, I just don't think it's for me. I wouldn't say that we follow any specific guidelines or fit in a certain group of parenting styles, we just do what we feel is best for our family and that's what I suggest you do as well.


Custom Search

Comments