ITP Awareness: The Basics


You can read a little about my ITP journey here. I was first diagnosed in 2009, my platelets dropped again in 2015, then again (and last time as of right now) in December of 2016. Every single time it was because I was very very sick and my body couldn't keep up and my platelets drop very fast. I can bottom out (less than 10 - which means 10,000) within 24 hours. 

Let's start with what is ITP? *

Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is a bleeding disorder in which the immune system destroys platelets, which are necessary for normal blood clotting. People with the disease have too few platelets in the blood.

ITP is sometimes called immune thrombocytopenic purpura or simply, immune thrombocytopenia.

What causes ITP? *

While no one knows the precise cause of ITP at this time, researchers continue to make progress in understanding it and the similarities to other autoimmune diseases. Since ITP can vary greatly between individuals, causes of ITP may also vary.

Current theories suggest that bacteria and virus byproducts, free radical damage (oxidative stress), immune system defects, and intestinal changes all may play a role in the development of ITP. Some cases of ITP can be drug-induced, the result of eating particular foods or may be caused by other diseases.

ITP symptoms can include any of the following: *

Abnormally heavy periods in women
Bleeding into the skin, often around the shins, causing a skin rash that looks like pinpoint red spots (petechial rash)
Easy bruising
Nosebleed or bleeding in the mouth


What are normal blood platelet counts:

150,000 to 450,000 though often you'll hear these number referred to without 'thousand.' For example, when I update my family I usually say my numbers have dropped to below 10 or yay I'm in the 200s. 



Comments