Cheesy Potato and Bacon Soup Recipe

Cheesy Potato and Bacon Soup
in the slow cooker




Ingredients:
- 8 large potatoes (add more if needed)
- 1 pound bacon
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used two big handfuls then some for topping later)
Seasonings (I never measure)
- Pepper
- Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder (I used this instead of Cajun and it worked so I'm sticking with it)

Instructions:
- Cook bacon - save the grease. Crumble up bacon before adding to the slow cooker
- Wash Potatoes, skin them then cube. Not to big but not too small because that will result in mush
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker except cheese, flour, and half & half
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours
- About halfway through cooking, in a separate bowl, mix together the flour and half & half. Stir until all the lumps are gone - if need be, add a little stock from the slow cooker. 
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker once it's lump free.
- Add cheese to slow cooker 15 minutes or so before serving. Make sure it's completely mixed in and melted

Toppings:
- Feel free to add a little bit of cheese and bacon if you kept any out (I didn't because it would not have made it the 8 hours without being eaten). We have some 'real bacon' bits in the fridge so I ended up adding this later on for a topping. 


The original recipe is here. I am one of those people who looks a recipe and uses it as a starting point. This time I actually wrote down the differences in case my family loved the soup (the did). I'm making sure to post it so I can look back later and have the recipe. 

I hope to be doing more of this in the future! 

Comments