Wintertime Fun


    With winter right on our tails, this Top 5 couldn't come at a better time! This week I'm talking about my Top 5 favorite things about winter. Really mine boils down to two things family time and snow but I'll break it down a little more for you.

One of my favorite things to do in wintertime is come together as a family, Grandma, Mom, Tyrone, Haleigh, Angela, Greg, Gregory, and myself, and decorate Grandma's Christmas tree. Grandma and Mom pull out all the ornaments and hand them to us to put on the tree. We listen to Christmas music and drink hot cocoa while we wait for an ornament and the stories to go with them. I love hearing the stories about where the different ornaments came from or what they mean to each family member. I love watching Grandma and her great-grandchildren loving on each other and sharing in the tradition. I love watching my mom sneaking cookies or candy canes to the kids while giving them a squeeze and a kiss. Grandparents love is so amazing.

Another thing I love about winter is time just seems to slow down. Maybe it has to do with the weather slowing things down for us but I feel like we always get more quality time together in the winter. We always seem to spend more time together doing things as a family than other times throughout the year. Games get played more, we cook as a family more, just all in all wintertime means family time.

Winter time food is always another favored thing in our house. Like most homes, we tend to cook more stews, soups, and chilis when it's cold outside. I love when my mom makes her chicken and rice soup. Right along with soothing my belly, it soothes my soul. I love trying new chili and stew recipes. We are always looking for an alternative for carrots in stews and soups because Haleigh is allergic so if you have any suggestions we would be very grateful!

Whenever the weatherman is calling for a big snow, we pack everything up and head to Grandma's house. If we're going to be snowed in then we're going to be snowed in there. I look forward to snow days every year because I love waking up with snow on the ground and a house filled with family. I love my morning coffee time with Mom and Grandma and then sledding or fort building (or both) with Haleigh.

All of this is great but my all time favorite thing is winter is a really big snow. That moment when you look everywhere around and there's no one in sight. There is a peace and calm in the air and no one is driving so the snow is still fresh and sparkling. I love just standing outside and seeing snow covering everything. Watching animals trek through it and leave their prints behind. Watching birds shaking off the snow from above in the trees. Seeing the sun or the moonlight bounce off the snow, showing just how sparkly snow really is. I love it all so much. Then I love being the one to make the first footprints, to be the one to make a path and build a pile of snow for a good fort or igloo. I really hope we get a big snow this year!

What are some of your favorite things about winter?

Comments